At the moment I don't feel like one. Occasionally I do adult like things - I browse estate agent websites curiously, I have sex (though with the media's obsession for underage sex and teenage pregnancy, this is the least adult 'adult' thing I probably do), I sometimes go out for a drink. These all seem reasonably adult-y. Then again, I have just used the word 'adult-y'.
Perhaps I am somewhere in between. Somewhere where I am technically an adult but my brain has yet to catch up. (This doesn't surprise me, nor should it you if you have ever told me a joke.) Somewhere in all my rather aimless musing I started to consider whether ten year old me would consider this older version an adult, so I compiled a questionnaire.
- Do you have a bra that fits? Yes. (At ten I already had size C boobs, a bra that encompassed them and hid them when I changed for PE was the epitome of amazing, aspirational adultness.)
- Do you have two bras that fit?! (and so on.) Yes.
- Do you have a job? Um, sadly not.
- Can you drive? Not without hitting something I've failed to see.
- Do you have a boyfriend? Yup.
- Do you do your own shopping? Can you buy as many sweets as you want? Um. Sometimes I shop, housekeeping in the A&G flat is minimal.. I do buy sweets though! (But now am more aware that I really, really shouldn't.)
- It's not an imaginary boyfriend, is it? Um, I don't think so. It grumbles when I poke it.
- Can you go on the internet lots and lots and lots? Uh huh.
- Do you have all the Sims games? Sorry..
- Are people still scary? Very, exceptionally. Hence why I have a boyfriend to hide behind.
So I'm 6/10ths of an adult according to me at ten. And you know what? That'll do me for now. So, so long. I'm off to eat Galaxy under a duvet and read.