Friday, 16 August 2013

Phone Calls with My Mother

I ring my mother twice a day by arrangement to make sure she's okay as she's unwell. This is typically how it goes.

1. Ring mother. She doesn't answer.
2. Wait twenty minutes then try again. Still no answer.
3. Maybe she's still asleep. Wait ten minutes. Ring again. Still no answer.
3. Debate calling neighbour/relative to break into house because she's clearly nearly dead.
4. Ring one last time. She answers the phone!
5. "Is that Aimee?" "Yes, are you okay?"
6. "I haven't put my hearing aids in, I don't know what you're saying."
7. "Are you okay? I've been ringing you for ages."
8. "I'm sorry, I can't hear you. Glad you're okay. Love you, bye!"

This happens twice a day.

Like all mothers, she drives me absolutely barmy but I love her dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment